This simple yet flavourful Indian Chicken + Pea Curry boasts a hidden vegetable base and comes together quickly, making it a healthy and easy weeknight meal. Love curry but not the spice? This is an entry-level curry that is easily customizable and can be toned down with less peppers and ginger.
Hello, Friends! Today I am sharing a recipe that has been long overdue on the blog. It’s a staple in my household and I always forget that it isn’t already on the blog! This Chicken + Pea Curry has really transformed over the years and is now the perfect mid-week meal that comes together in under half an hour. While there is a bit of effort in the method of this dish, it is worth it! Even better yet? This is one healthy curry. The base is all veggies and a bit of milk (dairy or coconut, I love to switch it up). No sugar, no flour, no filler.
I use my homemade curry powder mix (which is coming to the blog next week), but I encourage you to find a mix of spices that work well for you. My homemade curry powder is a bit heavy on the coriander so if you are using a premix curry powder, I would encourage a teaspoon of coriander to get a deeper flavour profile that mixes so well with the fresh veggie base to the sauce.
For these photos I actually used boneless skinless chicken breast, as it was on sale. However, I find chicken thighs (bones and skins removed and chopped in quarters) to be a great protein for this dish as well. The meat flavour is deeper and it is typically more affordable! Instead of two breasts use 4-5 thighsI have also made this dish vegetarian with a medium-firm tofu or block of paneer cut into cubes.
All-in-all, this dish is a great launching pad into the world of curries and can be adjusted for more heat (err spice) or toned down to be a more family friendly meal.
Looking for more affordable, easy and downright delicious Indian cuisines? Check-out my ever-popular Chana Masala for a serious budget friendly vegan main.
Chicken + Pea Curry
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 cup yellow onions roughly diced
- 2 jalapenos diced with seeds and veins removed
- 1 inch piece ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder homemade or premixed
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk coconut or 1%
- 2 chicken breasts cut into even bite sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large skillet, heat Canola oil over medium heat. add onions, jalapenos and ginger. Cook until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Add curry powder and salt and mix well, cooking for one minute. Add diced tomatoes and cook for an additional three minutes.
- Transfer veggie mixture to blender or immersion blender cup and blend until completely smooth, adding milk in small increments to create a thick gravy.
- Return to skillet and add chicken pieces to coat in sauce. Cover and cook over medium low for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove lid and add frozen peas and cook for an additional 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve with freshly made Basmati rice and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Did you make Chicken + Pea Curry at home?
If so, take a picture and tag it with #PeppersAndPennies! I love seeing your creations and will gladly share your photo!