Looking for a stellar cookie recipe? These Steel Cut Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Cookies are a reader favourite for a reason! These cookies are the perfect mix of soft and crunchy, sweet and salty. Go ahead, try them out!
Don’t you hate it when you buy the wrong item at the grocery store? As someone who strives to save money and reduce food waste, I was completely upset with myself when I went to buy a bag of steel cut oats to make Bircher Muesli and instead purchased a bag of instant steel cut oats by accident. I tried a few things with this big bag if instant steel cut oats and really did not enjoy the texture of them when made into oatmeal or overnight oats. I honestly considered throwing them out until one evening I wondered if you could make oatmeal cookies with them. Guess what? You can. In fact, these Steel Cut Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip cookies have a great texture!
Run of the mill steel cut oats (pun intended) do not fair well in oatmeal cookies as they are harder than the suggested rolled oats and just do not blend well with the cookie dough. Instant steel cut oats, however, are smaller flakes and soften easier. This results in a chewy yet crunchy cookie that is oh-so-satisfying. Enjoy these cookies slightly cooled from the oven with a tall glass of fresh milk.
Pssst, if you have been wondering where I have been for a month I very much apologize! My broken finger saga continues and have been attending physio three times a week which has put a strain on work and everything in general. But I hate excuses so we will say no more about that! On a positive note, I have been a busy beaver with cleaning-up some older posts as well as attending events such a restaurant openings and sharing my recipes on Instagram stories. If you don’t yet, I encourage you to follow me on Twitter and Instagram to stay connected and see what I am up to out and about in Winnipeg!
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup instant steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips semi sweet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until light.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and instant steel cut oats. Add to medium bowl with creamed butter and mix well using wooden spoon. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into even sized balls with hands and lightly press onto clean cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes. Cool on rack completely before serving.