With the welcoming of fall, dust off of the oven and treat your loved ones to an indulgent and warming Classic Family Friendly Mac & Cheese. Made with a strong Canadian cheese and crowned with a crumbly bread crumb topping, this Mac & Cheese is the perfect starting point for a classic fall family meal.
This post contains sponsored content. I was fortunate enough to receive monetary compensation and/or products from Dairy Farmers of Canada. Although compensated for my efforts, all opinions are my own.
When the cooler temperatures hit, I need allllll the comfort food. Rich soups, warm crumbles and oven baked mains are my go-to after a summer of BBQ, salads and milkshakes for dinner. #RealLife. After a solid 3 months of avoid having to turn on the oven (baking over 325 degrees sends my A/C into overdrive), I quickly morph into a caricature of the 50’s housewife, whipping-up classic casseroles to warm the soul, except I am in my sweat pants with a messy top knot instead of a cute full skirt and perfectly coiffed curls…
Inspired by the lovely cheese sent to me this month in my ongoing Dairy Farmers of Canada partnership, I knew I had to make a classic! At first, I was going to make a delicious apple cheese galette, but then the super cold, rainy, Winnipeg fall weather struck and I needed a stick-to-your-ribs main.
This month’s cheese is a striking organic, firm cheese with the most pretty mixed rind (look!) from Au Gré Des Champs in Quebec. This cheese, made from the milk of 30 Swiss brown dairy cows is their namesake cheese, Le Gré Des Champs. It’s a nutty and bold cheese that is perfect for a Mac & Cheese that will even please the adults!
While I don’t have kids of my own, I am fortunate enough to have a Brother-In-Law that is almost 4. He is the cutest little guy, and has some very strong opinions about what he will and will not eat for dinner (oddly enough, olives are always a winner). If there is Canadian Cheese on the table, he will quickly eat it and ask for more. Smart kid, eh? Pasta is always approved by him, so this delicious cheese was turned into a sauce and then tossed over macaroni and baked with a crumbly and buttery bread crumb topping. This dish was definitely a clear choice to serve to him! Even better, Le Gré Des Champs is strong enough to make this Classic Family Friendly Macaroni and Cheese interesting and suited to a more refined palate than a 4 year olds.
Can’t get your hands on this delicious cheese? Look for a firm cheese with a strong flavour profile to keep your Mac & Cheese memorable. As always, make sure you are reaching for Canadian Cheese, to ensure top quality and deliciousness for your family! Plus, who doesn’t want to support our hard working Canadian Farmers?
Classic Family Friendly Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅛ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 dashed Worcheshire sauce
- 1 ¾ cup grated Le Gré Des Champs cheese or similar firm and bold Canadian Cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook macaroni as per package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour, and whisk until smooth. Add milk, salt and Worcheshire sauce and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once boiled, remove from heat and whisk in Le Gré Des Champs cheese.
- Pour cheese sauce over prepared macaroni noodles and toss until fully coated. Transfer Macaroni and cheese mixture to oven safe baking dish.
- Mix melted butter and breadcrumbs together and crumble on top of macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve!