Well, we are officially in the dead of winter. When the wind-chill is -36, your furnace hasn’t had a break in hours and your poor dog cannot bare to be outside on a walk for more than exactly eight minutes you don’t want to mess around with dinner. Days like these call for something hearty, warm and healthy. This vegetarian-friendly soup concoction will warm your bones and leave you with a bit of heat at the tip of your tongue! Can anyone say “Mmmmhhh, noodle soup”?
Zippy Tomato & Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can (396 ml) of diced tomatoes (I love the chili flavored kind, but any will do!)
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spice blend
- 1 pack of fresh tortellini
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup of half & half cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Salt & red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 cup (or more!) of roughly chopped spinach
- parmesan cheese for serving
- In large dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add flour and mix vigorously.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and blend with immersion blender until all tomatoes and onions are pureed and soup mixture is thick. You can scoop out some tomatoes and onions if you prefer not to have a completely smooth soup, your choice!
- Return to medium-high heat and add tortellini and parmesan cheese. Once cheese has melted, slowly add milk and cream, stirring as your pour.
- Reduce heat and let flavours blend together, but keep a watchful eye-out so that the dairy does not curdle! Once ready to serve, shut-off heat and add spinach. Stir in the leafy greens until they have wilted and ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with more parmesan if your heart desires!
Serves 6 healthy portions!