Zippy Tomato & Tortellini Soup
This rich soup is warming from the inside, out! Full of spice and flavour this is not your average tomato soup!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomtoes 396 ml (I love the chili flavored kind, but any will do!)
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spice blend
- 1 pack fresh tortellini
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup of half & half cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Salt & red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 cup spinach roughly chopped
- parmesan cheese for serving
In large dutch oven heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add flour and mix vigorously until mixture bubbles.
Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and blend with immersion blender until about half the tomatoes and onions are pureed and soup mixture is thick. Feel free to puree all the soup if desired!
Return to medium-high heat and add tortellini and parmesan cheese. Once cheese has melted, slowly add milk and cream, stirring as your pour.
Reduce heat and let flavours blend together, but keep a watchful eye-out so that the dairy does not curdle!
Once ready to serve, shut-off heat and add spinach. Stir in the greens until they have wilted and ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with more red pepper flakes.