Looking for a way to bring the festive spirit to your day? These simple yet stunning White Chocolate Cranberry Scones with Cream Cheese Icing are flakey, sweet and just in time for the Holidays! An ideal treat for a morning meeting or wrapping presents, paired with a hearty cup of tea or strong cup of coffee!
With the beginning of December starts the flurry of baking. I’ve already helped my BFF stock her freezer and now it’s time to start my baking to-do list. I do things a bit differently, however. I am not one to fill my freezer up with treats and wait for a holiday party! No, I like to enjoy my festive flavours throughout the month! It’s all about spreading the cheer! Slow day at work? Holiday baking can spice that up! Want something more thematic than buttered popcorn for Holiday movie night? Cookies will do!
Enter these festive, holiday White Chocolate Cranberry Scones with Cream Cheese Icing come together in just over half an hour and are wayyyy easier than they appear. Scones are pretty non-fuss! Mix, mold, cut, bake, and in the case of these scones, frost! Now the cream cheese frosting is really what set’s these puppies apart from all the other scones. The flavour of the vanilla mixed with the cream cheese ties all the flavours of these scones together and turns the classic tea time treat to the highlight of your winter day. Honestly, I had to restrain myself not to completely smother the scones in the cream cheese icing!
I may have had a scoop of the icing or two right from the bowl.
I don’t have any fancy baking or icing implements and during the holidays I don’t want to be running out to the store to buy new things I will only use a handful of times a year. I simply put my icing into a small sandwich bag, cut the teeniest tiny hole in the corner and used that to decorate, as seen below! Easy peasy!
These scones are a tasty treat and use only a little bit of expensive baking ingredients (such as cream cheese and whipping cream) that let you spread out the deliciousness without breaking the bank. To offset costs even further, these scones using Canola oil instead of butter, but they are still flakey and delicious!
Enjoy these flavours but not a scone fan? Check out my White Chocolate Cranberry Meringue Square! Can you tell I love these flavours? Other than chocolate and mint, this is my ideal Holiday sweet flavour combo!
Cranberry White Chocolate Scones with Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/4 brick cream cheese (2 oz, softened)
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk (you may want more depending on consistency)
- extra cranberries (for topping)
- Preheat over to 425 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar salt and baking powder. In small mixing bowl, whisk together canola oil, vanilla extract, egg and whipping cream until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add white chocolate chips and cranberries, using hands to evenly disperse.
- On lightly floured surface, form scone dough into a large circle, roughly 1.5 inches high. Flatten top. Cut into 8 equal sized wedges. Place on parchment covered cooking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until browned and toothpick comes-out clean.
- While scones are baking, cream softened cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Set aside until ready to ice scones.
- Once scones are baked and cooled, move icing mixture into piping bag or plastic sandwhich bag with corner cut. Ice in zig-zag pattern. Top with leftover dried cranberries!
Did you make White Chocolate Cranberry Scones with Cream Cheese Icing at home?
If so, take a picture and tag it with #PeppersAndPennies! I love seeing your creations and will gladly share your photo!