Stretch a can of tuna (and your budget) by adding green lentils and veggies for a delicious, hearty and protein packed Tuna + Lentil Salad Sandwich!
I love finding ways to stretch the food budget. To save costs and make my evenings a bit more low-key, my Husband and I like to simply pack and eat leftovers for our lunches. A banana, yogurt and whatever-we-ate-last-night makes for an easy and yummy lunch. But some evenings we are lazy and don’t have leftovers since dinner was McDonalds (these are my confessions) or we were particularly hungry the night before and have not a morsel left to spare. As such, I like to have a few easy and on-hand lunch options that are healthier and more filling than a cup-of-noodles.
A tin of quality tuna is a great budget option to have on hand for weekday lunches. I mean, what is easier than opening a tin of tuna? Beyond being simple to prepare, this Tuna and Lentil Salad Sandwich is a nutritious, frugal and delicious way to stretch your can of tuna to feed more than one person! The flavor and texture of green lentils make the perfect mix-in for this tuna salad and goes well with the fresh and onion-y flavours of peppers, green onions and cucumbers. You will be ready to face anything in the afternoon with this protein packed lunch!
Tuna + Lentil Salad Sandwich
- 1 tin flaked white tuna 170 gram tin
- 1/2 cup green lentils prepared and drained
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/8 cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread and lettuce, cut vegetables or crackers for serving
- Drain tuna, ensuring no excess water remains in tin.
- In small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well, ensuring not to mash the lentils.
- Serve over fresh bread with washed and dried lettuce or with crackers or fresh veggies for dipping!