Ah, summer. Who doesn’t love long, warm, sun-filled days of lounging and resting. Unfortunately, not all summer days are sunshine filled. Summer storms can dampen even the brightest mood and force you to forgo your BBQ plans. Don’t fear! You can still enjoy the tastes of summer by reaping the rewards of your summer harvest and packing your favourite winter meal chock-full of summer produce.
Chili is a great dish to feed a crowd on a budget. I prefer to serve my chili on-top a bowl of pasta and covered in veggies and sour cream. But, if you are part of Team Toast, I don’t judge!
Summer Harvest Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup zucchini, diced
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow, green and/or orange), diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (796 ml), liquid drained
- 1 can tomato paste (156 ml)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- In medium-large dutch oven, brown and drain ground pork and ground beef. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve over noodles or with toast. Top with favourite toppings. Leftovers are perfect to bring for lunches!