Happy Chinese New Year! In celebration of the new lunar calendar I am excited to share my recipe for Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry. This is the perfect stir fry for a busy week night dinner but it is flavourful and unique enough to be served in celebration to guests!
What makes the stir fry unique is that this dish is not served with rice or noodles. Instead, a package of bean sprouts is added right before the dish is complete and serves as a fantastic carb substitute. You won’t notice the noodles are missing! The bean sprouts mix perfectly with the spicy, sweet and tangy flavor profile of the sauce and provide a fresh and healthy punch.
If serving to kids or those with a less adventurous palette, the sriracha sauce and red pepper flakes can easily be substituted for a half inch of shredded ginger. This substitution will cut the sweetness of the honey without the additional heat.
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup sriracha
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bag of bean sprouts
- In a small bowl mix half of the soya sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sriracha, garlic, red pepper flakes, cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- Heat chicken breasts over high heat in large wok with oil.
- Add onion, chili flakes and the remaining half of the soya sauce. Stir and toss constantly until chicken is browned and onions are fragrant. Add peppers.
- Add sauce mixture to wok and continue to toss. Once sauce thickens add bean sprouts and turn off heat. Continue to stir and toss the stir fry until beansprouts start to sweat and are well coated.