Cooking for two? Don’t need leftovers? These Pork and Zucchini Lettuce Wraps are perfectly portioned for two are are sure to be easy on the wallet!
Are you holding-on to the last bit of Summer like I am? I really, REALLY do not want summer to end. I am going to miss running into the lake on a hot summer’s day with my dog and drinking beers trail side. I’ll miss late evenings on the patio illuminated by the garden lights. I’ll even miss the endless hours on the highway dancing in my seat to a healthy mix of Weezer, Justin Bieber and Boston. #NoShame
The good thing about this time of year is the summer harvest. Late summer calls for nearly all the veggies in our garden to be ripe. Like everyone else, I am having trouble figuring out what the heck to do with all the monstrous zucchini that keep popping-up. Thankfully, zucchini are super versatile and are the perfect mix-in to bulk up nearly any meal!
My husband and I have fell in love lettuce wraps. I think they are so much fun to eat! Maybe it’s because I even ate pizza with utensils growing-up that these Pork and Zucchini Lettuce Wraps are super fun. Whatever the reason, I like letting my hair down (so to speak) and getting a bit messy with my dinner. The saving grace of this messy dinner is it is perfectly portioned for two, meaning no leftover to clean-up and pack away post-dinner. I typically serve these on a Thursday night as my husband’s office goes out for lunch meaning no need for lunches! I am super fortunate to work from home most days so my Friday lunches usually are natural peanut butter and banana toast and an apple. Didn’t you know food blogger’s meals aren’t always Instagram-worthy?
Let’s talk about pork for a minute. A lot of my recipes use pork as it is SO DARN AFFORDABLE. Excuse the caps, (that may be the gin) talking but seriously. I source my meat from Miller’s Meats in Winnipeg (not sponsored, just love them!) and ground pork is $3.00 a pound. That isn’t even their sales price! Even better yet, I find their pork to be super lean. As these Pork and Zucchini Lettuce Wraps for Two use only a half pound of pork you know this recipe is dirt cheap. Looking for other affordable pork recipes? How about my Tipsy Campfire Nachos or Egg Roll Rice Bowls!
Did I mention this meal comes together in about 20 minutes? Sure, there is a bit of chopping and prep work involved but it is by no means taxing. I like the added spice from the red pepper flakes, but these are completely optional. I have tested the recipe multiple times with and without the red pepper flakes and the lack of them does not change the dish too much. In fact without them, this meal is quite kid friendly (providing no nut allergies!) and is a great option for you solo parents out there!
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1 cup zucchini, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 package of vermicelli rice noodles (225g package)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, seperated
- Brown and drain ground pork in medium sized skillet. Add chopped zucchini and cook over medium heat.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add soya sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce and optional red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook vermicelli rice noodles per package directions, drain and toss with Canola oil, to prevent sticking.
- Place prepared noodles, chopped onions, peanuts and iceberg lettuce in separate bowls.
- Assemble individual lettuce wraps with noodles as a base, followed-up by pork and zucchini mixture and topped off with green onions and peanuts.