A good fettuccine alfredo is a dish every home cook should have in their arsenal. You can whip it up in a handful of minutes and please everyone; hungry husbands and picky kids alike.
Now, the secret to a good alfredo lies in the simplicity of the dish. I have struggled with many recipes over the years that add chicken stock, milk, and even cream cheese (no, just NO). But I keep going back to how it was taught to me. Start with a good roux, add cream, a strong parmesan cheese and season to taste. The return on effort is huge.
This fettucinne alfredo recipe is a classic that supports a creative home chef’s desires. Use the recipe as a launching pad to turn this pasta into a full meal with meat and veggies. Or be bad and skip the veggies for a day… I won’t tell!
Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1/8 cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 473 ml container of half & half (that’s 2 cups)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package fettuccine noodle
- In medium large pan, boil water and cook pasta as per instructions on packaging
- In medium sauce pan, heat butter and garlic until fragrant over medium heat
- Add flour to butter and garlic and whisk until smooth and bubbly
- Add remaining ingredients to roux. Stir until cheese has melted and mixture is smooth
- Drain noodles and toss with sauce