Planning a getaway this weekend? Make potato salad! Perfect for a picnic, beach day or camping weekend this Cooler Friendly Potato Salad is made ahead and packs away easily! Made with affordable pantry items and Canadian back bacon, this Canola oil based salad is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser this summer!
It’s beginning to feel a lot like… SUMMER. Seriously, how long did this winter last? It felt like lazy summer days would never return. But, as we are nearing mid-June, they are finally close enough to believe it. To celebrate, I am spending as much time outside BBQing, puttering in the garden, playing fetch with my dog and having roughly 3 bonfires a week. It’s been great! My blog traffic has also nearly tripled from the influx of folks Googling camping recipes! So, here is another outdoor approved recipe for your summer adventures!
This potato salad is very close to a German potato salad but is served cold. I feel the salty flavours from the back bacon and the zest from the two types of onions mingles very well with the oil, vinegar and grainy mustard after it sits in the fridge for a few hours. It’s a fantastic side to grilled meats and veggies, either on the BBQ or right on the fire grill. This recipe fills-up a 9 Cup Ziploc container perfectly, making it an easy make ahead dish to chill-out at the bottom of your cooler!
The dressing in the salad is very simple. You can choose either apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, whatever you have in your pantry or whatever you prefer! You can also properly emulsify the mustard and oil with a whisk (add that Canola oil slowly, whisk fast!) or take the lazy route and just throw it all in a mason jar and shake, shake, shake! You can also add a bit of honey or maple syrup to the dressing, but that is completely optional. The dressing is great as-is, but it is sometimes fun to change it up a bit, isn’t it?
Looking for other camping recipes?
Cooler Friendly Potato Salad
- 3 pounds Mini Red Potatoes Halved
- 1 pound Canadian Back Bacon
- 1/2 cup Red Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Grainy Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Green Onions Chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Rinse halved mini red potatoes in fresh cool water. Drain. Place rinsed potatoes in large pot and fill with more fresh cool water. Bring to a boil and boil for 8-10 minutes, until potatoes are firm but pierce with a fork. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Fry Canadian Back Bacon. Reserve some drippings and then set aside prepared meat. Lightly sautee red onions in tablespoon of back bacon drippings. Set aside.
- In a mason jar, add vinegar or choice, Grainy Dijon Mustard, Canola Oil and salt. Mix vigorously!
- In a large bowl or cooler friendly ziploc container, generously coat prepared and cooled potatoes in the dressing. Mix in Canadian Back Bacon, Red Onion, Green Onions and Parsley. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Enjoy!
Did you make Cooler Friendly Potato Salad at home?
If so, take a picture and tag it with #PeppersAndPennies! I love seeing your creations and will gladly share your photo!