A fun twist on a french favourite, Oeufs cocotte, Cheesy Ham + Egg Polenta Ramekins bring a bit of Parisian flair to your next family brunch! These affordable and tasty ramekins are fuss free and a great way to show-off humble ingredients.
This post is sponsored by Get Cracking! Although compensated for my efforts, all opinions are my own. Follow them on Instagram at @eggsoeufs to see other recipes that can be made on any dime (or penny!) with delicious eggs!
I love brunch. Like, it’s the highlight of the weekend. One of the best parts about brunch is enjoying classic foods in inventive ways. From over-the-top coffees, extra crispy potatoes drizzled with unexpected sauces and mimosas with tropical fruit juices and pretty garnishes, I am very much into the brunch lifestyle. However, with the current states of things, I am choosing to stay home and limit my time in restaurants and out and about. Fortunately, with a bit of creativity and a well stocked pantry and fridge, I can enjoy the fun of brunch safely in my own home!
Instead of a classic fry-up of eggs and bacon I have been getting inventive in the kitchen and looking at unique ways to serve brunch staples like eggs and ham. Although, let’s be honest – a classic fry-up of eggs and bacon is exactly what you need sometimes!
But, let’s be honest. This dish is a tad more Instagram worthy than the classic fry-up. Also, these egg ramekins require less dishes and pans to be washed after the meal! Fortunately for us, it is also just as tasty with an extra large mug of coffee, too!
One way to get inventive and creative like the chefs at your favourite brunch spots is to draw on inspiration from vacations or classic dishes. Heck, you can even take inspiration from Netflix! I, like many others have been loving the escapism of Emily in Paris and wanted to bring that feeling of Paris to my kitchen table, but in an ultra Canadian way. What better way to put a Canadian spin on a dish then to highlight the deliciousness and versatility of eggs! Dress-up your table in a beautiful way or, bust out that dress you have been saving for a night out and treat yourself to a classy brunch at home.
These Cheesy Ham + Egg Polenta Ramekins are inspired from the French dish, Oeufs cocotte, are an affordable brunch option thanks to the hard-working Canadian farmers who supply us with fresh, local and high-quality eggs. They work so well with a rich and creamy, cheesy polenta (or good old cornmeal!) mixture spooned on top of cubed cooked ham. It’s a savoury brunch option that looks way more complicated than it is! Go on, try it out! Sante, mes amies!
Cheesy Ham + Egg Polenta Ramekins
- 1 cupe cooked ham, diced
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup polenta
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- parsley, cheese and salt and pepper for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375. Place 4 ramekins into a baking dish and fill the dish with water to create a water bath (about half way to top of ramekin). Divide ham equally between the 4 ramekins.
- In a medium-large saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a rapid boil. Add polenta or cornmeal and mix gently with whisk. Reduce heat to medium low. Add in shredded cheese and mix in until fully melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Top ham in ramekins with polenta and cheese mixture.
- Create a small well in polenta mixture and crack an egg on top!
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes until egg white has set.
- Carefully remove from the oven. Be careful, the ramekins are hot!
- Serve with parsley, more cheese and/or pepper.